When I first got my plasmacam I wanted to only use a water table to control dust. I soon found out unless I built the water table perfectly attached to the plasmacam unit so that the water could touch the bottom of the steel plate I was cutting that this would not reduce enough of the metal dust.
From doing more research I did learn that the water table will grealty reduce the amount of large metal dust particles and that adding a simple exhaust fan setup should take care of the rest.
So, I set off to build a simple water table. I decided to build it on casters so that I could remove it to clean / empty the water at any time very easily.
The water table for the plasmacam is constructed 22ga steel, 1 3/4 x .120 HREW tube legs, angle iron, nd generic casters. I do not have a sheet metal brake big enough to bend the water tray so I made do with some 4″x4″ pieces of wood, screws, clamps and a big hammer.
The above image illustrates how I used the 4″x4″ piece of wood and screwed it to a smaller piece and then hamered the crap out of it to make my bend I am sure glad I did not use 18ga as I had originally planned.
This image shows the overall setup of the water table / tray build-up using not so high-tech of tools
The above image shows how I made the edge and welded borders of the water table more rigid. I needed some type of ‘frame’ to support the large amount of water the tray would hold and decided this was the best route. It also provied helpful for making the table rigid to move around.
The water table before the welding started. The welding took me a couple hours… I hate welding sheet metal!
I do not have any pictures of hte finished work or the braces I added to the bottom.
I added a 1″x1″ tube frame to the bottom of this water table and also used 18ga welded to key locations and then some scrap steel to add braces. Basically, I took the idea from gas, milk, water, etc tankers how they weld thick steel to the thin steel and then a brace to the thick steel. My idea here was to prevent flexing / bowing of the water table as it filled to prevent the pulling of my welds.
Once completed I filled it with water and it dripped a very very little bit. I tacked up a few leaks and then decided I would use “spray in bedliner” to seem-seal it. I put on about 4 coats of this in 100* weather and then primed the entire table.
After this was completed I welded the legs and casters to the sub-frame and rolled it into place and filled it with water. The table has not leaked at all and has proven to reduce large air born particles greatly.
After only a few cuts I ran this magnet around the water table and all of these metal shavings were found. A lot more than I expected!
Overall the water table has been a great addition to my plasmacam unit and for the cost of building one I highly suggest it.
I already have plans to add a expanded metal screen to catch smaller cut parts I want to keep.
4 Comments »